Thursday, December 15, 2011

Million Dollar Speech: Outline

Nichole Schmidt
December 1st, 2011
Human Communications, Rob Larson

Youth Athletic Injuries: Preventable With Just A Million
1) Intro
A)     Every day, high school athletes become victim to injuries, some which change lives forever, some that end lives, and most which were preventable.
Hi, my name is Nichole Schmidt, and with my million dollar idea, I plan on employing athletic trainers across the state to teach injury prevention and proper training techniques to high school athletes.
B)     Medical Employment = expensive
      -More than 1 million dollars          
      -Start in WI public high schools with 1:5 ratio                                                               

2) Body 1 – Why I chose to do this
                        A) I fell victim to injury, twice
                        B) My injury lead to my career/major
                                    -I want to volunteer after I graduate
                                    -My million dollar idea will help to start what I want to volunteer with
                        C) My experiences
                                    -Number of injuries witnessed (further injury)
                                    -Witness bad training (weights, warm-ups)
                                    -What I see vs what really occurs (stats)

3) Body 2 – Injuries and their costs
                        A) Number of high school injuries (7.2 Million H.S. Athletes)
                                    -2 million injuries (about 29%)
                                    -500,000 doctor visits (about 7%)
                                    -30,000 hospitalizations annually (.5% - 1 kid every other year)
                        B) Costs of Injuries
                                    -Average cost of ACL - $2,339.43 out of pocket
                                    - Surgery costs alone cost between 25-50 thousand
                                    - My surgery (first one) was almost $80,000 after everything
                        C) Scholarships
                                    -34% of college athletes receive scholarships
                                    -Average college athletic scholarship = $10,409

4) Body 3 – Plan and cost
                        A) Hiring athletic trainers for WI
                                    -WI because it is my home state
                                    -541 Public high schools, 5 schools per A.T. = 90 A.Ts
                        B) Trainers Jobs
                                    -Teach proper lifting skills
                                    -Proper warm-ups and cool-downs
                                    -Care for injuries properly

5) Body 4 – In the future
                        A) Sign the website agreement
                        B) New fields
                        C) New equipment
                        D) Prevention program to all students, not just athletes
                                    -Mandatory class in school?
                                    -Taught by gym teachers
6) Conclusion
            Every day, athletes suffer injuries of all sorts, but in most cases, those injuries were preventable. With my million dollars, the athletic trainers hired will be responsible to teach preventative methods, such as good warm-ups, cool-downs, and strength and conditioning. In case of injury, the trainers are also responsible for proper taping methods and other care for the many types of injuries. My million dollars will only hire the first 29 trainers which are to be placed in WI. With time and more money, I would increase the number of trainers in the state, better the conditions of playing surfaces, and get up to date equipment for all schools. My million dollars is only a small start to the large goal I have, but with just 29 trainers, injuries would be prevented, and no price tag can be put on that.

No comments:

Post a Comment