Sunday, November 13, 2011

Interpersonal Exercise #10: Relationships, Part 2

Lesson Objectives:
After you have finished this lesson, you should be able to:
Assess your own relationship behavior and make adjustments as needed.
Recognize the “darkside” of relationships.
Distinguish the ways in which culture and media impact all relationship types.
Describe the types and functions of friendship, love, and family relationships.

Read DeVito’s Units 8 & 9 “Relationships” (pages 170-212). 

What do you look for in a romantic relationship? Why are these characteristics important to you?
I am very careful about choosing romantic relationships. Trust is very important to me; I need to be able to trust him completely and he has to trust me. (That is why my boyfriend in Green Bay and I can be together.) Along with trust goes honesty; he has to be able to tell me anything and everything, good or bad, and I need to feel I can talk openly to him as well. Romantic relationships also need to have good communication and both him and myself need to be good listeners. He also needs to treat me good and respectfully. Romantic relationships also need to be about fun. We need to be able to joke around together and share some of the same interests. 

What kind of lover do you consider yourself? (Eros, Ludus, Storge, Pragma, Mania, Agape)
I would like to consider myself a Pragma lover.

What do you look for in a friendship? What kind of a friend do you consider yourself?
Friendships are based on the same characteristics: respect, trust, honesty, fun, and caring. I believe these are the same characteristics for a boyfriend and a friend because I believe that a boyfriend or husband should also be able to be considered my best friend.
Give an example in your life of each of the types of friendships. (Reciprocity, Receptivity, Association)
Reciprocity: An example of a reciprocity friendship in my life is with my best friend. We give and                                                            take equally and are extremely loyal to one another.
Receptivity: An example of this type of friendship is between my math teacher and I. I am gaining more for our relationships than she is; I am gaining more than she is. 
Association: The friendships I have with my coworkers at Storm's Den is an example of association. There is not much giving or receiving and no strong loyalty. 

No comments:

Post a Comment